It’s a great deal knowing the list of commercial banks in Ghana and selecting your choice. For an economy to also progress, we as citizens need to be saving. And for such situation, the commercial banks are available to help help. Importantly, one can get access to loans and other financial assets through through their relationships with banks.
READ ALSO: Bank of Ghana Exchange Rate
Most people started their businesses through the acquisitions of loans or financial support from banks. Which means these commercial banks are available to serve you when you have good relations and better transactions with them.
The banking industry in Ghana has seen lots of changes for decades. Many banks have come and gone. Some were able to survive while others failed to stay up to their game. There have also been many polices and strategies by governments to help sustain the industry. Also, make it economy friendly to serve Ghanaians.
Functions of Commercial Banks in Ghana
Although these banks are termed as commercial banks, their offers and services varies certain similar activities. Below are some functions that are similar to all commercial banks in Ghana;
- They help in paying bills such as phone and water bills.
- These banks deal in special services like money transfer and orders.
- They help to clear clients Cheque.
- They sometimes serve as trustees for some of their clients.
- Commercial banks keep safe deposits or savings of their customers in their accounts.
- They engage in forex activities. Buying and selling securities.
- They also give out loan to their customers.
List of Commercial Banks In Ghana
Below are the list of commercial banks that are registered in Ghana:
- Absa Group (formerly Barclays Bank of Ghana) – this is a commercial bank in Ghana licensed by Ghana’s central bank (Bank of Ghana). The bank was founded in 1917 thus they have been in existence for 104 years and still counting. Their headquarters is located Absa House, J.E. Atta-Mills High Street, Accra, Ghana. Aside that, they also have other branches across the country.
- Ecobank Ghana – this is a commercial bank established in 1990. It is one of the international banks in Ghana with large base customers.
- Agricultural Development Bank (ADB) – this bank which has been in existence since 1965 is a state-owned development and commercial bank in Ghana. It’s headquarters is located at Independence Avenue, Accra, Ghana with other branches spread across the country. It was formerly known as the Agricultural Credit and Co-operative Bank.
- CAL Bank – this is a commercial bank established in 1990 and owned by a number of share holders. They also have several branches aside its headquarters at 23 Independence Avenue, Accra, Ghana.
- Stanbic Bank of Ghana – this bank is member of Standard Bank Group and is part of the Depository Credit Intermediation Industry.
- Fidelity Bank – is a commercial bank established in 2006 with its headquarters in Accra, Ridge Towers. They have over 75 networked branches in Ghana.
- Ghana Commercial Bank (GCB) –GCB Bank Limited formally known as Ghana Commercial Bank is the largest bank in Ghana in terms of total operating assets and share of industry deposits.
- International Commercial Bank – this is a member if the ICB banking group located in Switzerland. It’s one of the international banks located in Ghana.
- National Investment Bank – NIB, is a state owned commercial bank in Ghana. It is one of the commercial banks licensed by the Bank of Ghana, the national banking regulator. NIB is a medium-sized financial services provider in Ghana.
- Prudential Bank – this is a private commercial bank in Ghana incorporated in 1993 and opened in 1996. It is owned by a group of people and companies.
- Energy Bank Ghana – this is a commercial bank incorporated in 2009 as a private limited liability company.
- Standard Chartered Bank Ghana – this is a commercial bank and member of the Standard Chartered PLC located in the United Kingdom. It was incorporated in 1896.
- Bank of Africa Ghana Limited (BOA) – this is a commercial bank in Ghana incorporated in 1997. It is owned by some companies and individuals.
- Bank of Baroda Ghana – this is one of the international banks in Ghana and a subsidiary of the Indian Bank. They instituted the Ghanaian branch in 2008.
- SG-SSB Limited – this commercial bank has a large customer base and several branches across Ghana. The bank is based in Accra and its stock is listed on the Ghana Stock Exchange. It is a component of the GSE All-Share Index.
- Guaranty Trust Bank – this bank was established in 1991. The bank is owned by Tajudeen Afolabi Adeola is a Nigerian businessman and investor.
- Banque Sahélo – this is a commercial bank in Ghana that has its services spread several nations.
- First Atlantic Bank – this is a universal bank in Ghana and licensed as a commercial bank, by the Bank of Ghana, the central bank and national banking regulator.
- Access Bank Ghana PLC – formerly Access Bank Ghana Limited, is a full service commercial bank in Ghana, licensed by the Bank of Ghana, the central and national banking regulator.
- Consolidated Bank Ghana (CBG) is a commercial bank in Ghana. The headquarters and main branch of the bank are located on the First Floor, Manet Tower 3, Airport City, Accra.
- First National Bank Ghana Limited – it is commonly referred to as First National Bank Ghana, is a commercial bank in Ghana.
- OmniBSIC Bank Ghana Limited
- Republic Bank Ghana Limited
- United Bank for Africa Ghana Limited
- Universal Merchant Bank Limited
- Zenith Bank Ghana Limited