Fufu is one of the best accompaniment to any soup especially light soup or “nkrakra” as known in Ghana. Fufu and light soup is very common in Ghana and as such you must know how to prepare it.
It is obtained from pieces of boiled tubers like cassava, yam, cocoyam pounded together with boiled plantain. Aside Ghana, Fufu is also popular in some West Africa countries like Nigeria.
READ ALSO: How To Prepare Banku With Tilapia
Almost every household enjoys fufu in Ghana either in the morning, afternoon or evening. Others love fufu to the extend that they are able to enjoy food for a continuous number of days.
On the other hand, light soup a simple tomato-based soup which is good for everyone. This particular soup can go with any kind of meat or fish bring it beef, goat meat, cow meat, pork meat, chicken, lamb or mutton, tuna, salmon, tilapia and others.
How to prepare fufu and light soup
Have available your utensils, blender, mortar and pestle.
Meat or Fish
Onion, Garlic, Ginger
Fresh Tomatoes and pepper
Garden Eggs or Okro
Salt to taste
Cassava, Yam or Cocoyam
Process or Method
- Cut meat or fish into desirable sizes and wash into saucepan. Blend onion, garlic and ginger to season the meat or fish.
- Add seasoning and small water to steam for 10-15 minutes.
- Boil pepper, garden eggs and tomatoes and when the skin of pepper and tomatoes starts to peel off blend and strain to get a perfect mixture.
- In a different bowl, stir tomato paste and add little water, let it simmer a few minutes.
- Add the mixture to the meat in the saucepan and add more water depending on the desirable thickness you want.
- Add your Garden eggs or Okro and Kpakpo shito.
- Peel and cut cassava, yam or cocoyam into smaller sizes. Wash thoroughly and transfer into a saucepan.
- Add water and place on fire to boil until soft. Drain off the water and make your mortar and pestle ready.
- Pound the plantain first into a soft like paste and put aside.
- When done, continue with the cassava, when soft at a certain point add the plantain paste.
- Pound all together till soft and sticky according to how you want it; soft or hard (it’s ready). Shape into your desirable size.
- Serve your fufu with light soup